RE: Re[2]: Next step?

apt (IIRC) won't ever update your kernel. Though it might. Updating the
kernel on a laptop in debian is a bit tricky, if you're used to other dists,
but it's not too hard. Read the make-kpkg stuff.

*I* would use the security updates in any case, but it really depends on
where and how you're using your laptop. I move mine all around (I'm a
systems admin), take it to colo centers, have it plugged in dmzs, direct
attatched to the Net, behind firewalls, and I sometimes even login from work
and do stuff there. It certainly can't hurt, even if it's a workstation.
Remember, in linux, the real difference between workstation and server is
just a matter of what you do with it-- I do apache/python/java development
on mine, and so I run lots of 'server' apps, so... it's really up to you.

Debian has lots of good things going for it-- its stable is incredibly
stable. I have systems that've been running over a year without a problem at
all. The testing distro is 'almost-bleeding edge'-- basically the difference
between unstable and testing is that unstable is the newest updates, and
testing is what's in unstable that hasn't had a blocker bug filed against
it, but still could be plenty buggy. What you get out of it is an updated
set of packages. For instance: testing has X 4.1 in it, while stable has
IIRC X 3.3.6. I use testing for almost, and find it very stable, though of
course YMMV.

woody is the next release of debian-- the current one is potato, aka stable.
woody is the code name for current project that's in testing-- kind of like
netapp calling the release of it's 6.1 software guinness, or apple calling
their powerbooks 'wallstreet' or 'bronze'.

Debian's got a lot of information to amass fairly quickly-- most of these
questions are, however, answered in the docs on the site-- youmight want to
have a look around-- part of many folks' reasons for running debian are its
philosophy, which is also covered.

glne