Re: framebuffer

You'll probably have more luck with the SVGA driver.  I don't know which
winmodem is in your particular laptop, but it might work; you can find a
listing of the ones that do at http://www.linmodems.org .  The few
laptops that run Linux where I have had the opportunity to check what
they claimed their refresh rates to be have claimed to run at a vertical
refresh of 60 Hz, so the timings that come with the default X
configurations should work for standard resolutions.  You're right that
they don't have an electron beam and don't use the timings in the same
way as a CRT; I don't know if they just ignore the refresh rate or if
they use it to synchronize with the graphics card in some manner.