Re: Advice take two :)

This is veering off the topic of "Debian on a Laptop" and into more general use. You should probably continue this thread in the debian-user list.

Søren Neigaard wrote:

Could anyone maybe give me a short introduction for the most common
wm's?

I Googled[1] about and found a few pages already chock full of introductory info about window managers and how to choose which from the popular ones might meet your needs/desires:
-GNOME User Guide, About Window Managers
-- http://www.labs.redhat.com/gug/users-guide/wm.html
-The X Window User HOWTO, Ch.3 - Choosing a Window Manager
-- http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XWindow-User-HOWTO-3.html
-Window Managers Explained
-- http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/981/1/

Most of the screenshots available at the GNOME[2] and Ximian[3] GNOME sites are Sawmill. Since you are just starting out, I'd recommend using Sawmill with GNOME. If I'm not mistaken, it's pretty much the default and it is easy to operate. Note the descriptions for the screenshots at the [2] link below have a description for both "Windowmanager:" and "GTK Theme:". Most of the Windowmanagers are Sawmill with a few different themes - you can see how the title bars for the windows differ. The "GTK Theme" defines the appearance for elements *inside* a window -- buttons, menus, and the like; these are handled by GNOME.

[1] http://www.google.com/linux?site=search&restrict=linux&hl=en&q=introduction+window+managers
[2] http://www.gnome.org/seegnome.html
[3] http://www.ximian.com