Re: Advice take two :) -- window managers

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Søren Neigaard wrote:

> Could anyone maybe give me a short introduction for the most common
> wm's?

try "Window Managers for X" at

http://www.plig.org/xwinman/

it has screen shots and overview of a whole mess of them.

i personally use fvwm (v2.2.x in stable).  it's good for a laptop b/c it's
very light weight and you can do everything from the keyboard.  but it's
very plain.  as robert frost said "ice is nice".  it behaves more like a
Win/Mac GUI.  those are the only two i'm familiar with.

one important note is that Gnome and KDE are desktop environments whose
functions extend, overlap, and sometimes conflict with window managers.
so the difference between ice-wm and icewm-gnome is that the latter has
hooks to play well with Gnome.  it was also my impression from a *brief*
flirtation with KDE that the choice of WM was irrelevant as KDE took over
everything.

as for testing window managers alone, go ahead and apt-get install as many
as you want.  it's pretty easy to switch between them.  Debian
constructs menus in each one for you that usually have a section labelled
"Window Managers".

HTH,
craig

Dr. Craig T. Milling