Re: X-Fonts

Guillaume <triton@madchat.org> writes:

> *** Please say _something_ to me !! :)
>
> I'm running Debian 90% Woody on my laptop.
>
> The menus and dialog-boxes of most X win
> applications  (Nedit, The Gimp, playlists)
> are all SquArEs !! Unreadable.
>
> Do you know what x-library might be
> responsible for the font problem ?

It's the fonts, probably.  You've probably (unknowingly) installed
unicode fonts (fonts with encoding iso10646-1).  If some innocent
application asks for a font without specifying the encoding, then
previously it would have got iso8859-1 (or something similar), but now
it'll get iso10646-1, and be confused.
<http://bugs.debian.org/113278>.

--
Bruce Stephens			Bruce.Stephens@MessagingDirect.com