Re: What to choose

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 21:15:55 +0200
S <neigaard@e-box.dk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I don't know that to install on my Dell Laptop, Debian or Mandrake.
> Mandrake claims to have something like apt-get, do you know if it
> works as good as you apt-get (I have heard a lot of positive things
> about Debain apt-get).

I use both. Mandrake for servers, debian for myself.
I use Mandrake because I already had it, came there from redhat. Mandrake is better then redhat.
Mandrake is easier to install for sb who is new to linux and who has 'easy' hardware. It is easier to
use reiser from mandrake (although I noticed that new people don't get it anyway).
All in all, it is an 'easy' distro. Their upgrade-tool is sort of a scaled-down version off apt-get, it is
better then nothing but apt-get is way, way better. RPM packages are more widespread then deb-packages.
I have been using debian for two months now. If you have some help or you know st about linux
then this is the distro to use. updating is really easy. So is installing new packages. Less dependency problems.
But installing is a little more tricky. In the long run debian gives you more and easier control.
But to start, all that control might be hard to handle. Friends who want to start with linux, I usually give Mandrake, then when they're into linux, I give 'm debian. It's like not eating all the cooking at once.
Save best for last.
And when I have time the servers will also become debian.

--
no