IBM A21m - sound

OK, I give up.

How do I get sound to work, any method, on an IBM A21m notebook?

I tried alsa version 0.99 -- no luck.  Missing drivers
I tried loading the cs46XX module -- couldn't load.
I tried compiling the module as part of the kernel (no modules)  That loads
OK, but there's nothing to do with sound.
No errors in syslog/message/debug logs.
artsd isn't running but I can start it and it seems to work - but still no
sound.

Where do I begin?
I only ever once had sound working, sort of, on gnome - but that had volume
control problems and it was horribly unstable.

All I want to do right now is get sound working on at least PC.  I have two
others that don't have sound working on them - but they are not technically
notebooks....