I am stuck: X on a Compaq Armada M300 (ATI Rage Lt Pro)

Hi out there,

I tried, but it seems I lack the experience needed to solve this. I hope
some kind soul on the list can help me out.

Today I've installed potato on a Compaq Armada M300, which was easy
enough to do. After I finished the base install without X I did some of
the necessary stuff, like closing all unwanted LISTENing ports and doing
the apt-get update & upgrade routine. So far no problem. But I like the
eye-candy X can give me, so I installed X, which resulted in a very
weird (almost drug-induced-like) image on VT7. So I read up on the topic
and found some messages on the net suggesting that you should upgrade to
XFree86 4 to get it working propperly.

Well, since cpbotha made a nice set of debs available I just did that
and afterwards ran xf86cfg. However that didn't get me far (no mouse and
it segfaults when you actually try to configure a device). So I tried a
text-mode configuration with xf86config, choosing ATI Rage 128 as the
driver (the ATI Rage LT Pro is not listed and someone suggested this was
the closest relative). Upon finishing that I ran startx and as a reward
got an error message stating there were "no screens found". I tried to
find more information about this problem, but wasn't sucessful.

>From /var/log/XFree86.0.log:

(--) PCI:*(0:5:0) ATI Mach64 LI rev 220, Mem @ 0x40000000/24,
0x41080000/12, I/O @ 0x3000/8

So the card was sucessfully probed. The last lines in the log say:

(II) APM: driver for the Alliance chipsets: AP6422, AT24, AT3D
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:05:0
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

There are no other errors or warnings, just (II) lines.

That's about all leads I have. Can someone on the list point me in the
right direction? I'd appreciate your help.

Grx HdV

--
Support bacteria -
they're the only culture some people have.

J.A. de Vries aka HdV
Delft University of Technology
Computing Centre

Email: J.A.deVries@DTO.TUDelft.NL