Re: Debian 2.2 on Thinkpad A21M

Right, it should be straightforward. First of all make sure you have
either eepro100 driver loaded as either a module, or in the kernel.

Next edit /etc/network/interfaces. Take a look at the interfaces(5) man
page.

Mine (on my desktop machine) looks as follows:

---

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
#iface eth0 inet static
        #address 172.26.0.2
        #netmask 255.255.255.0
        #network 172.26.0.0
        #broadcast 172.26.0.255

---

Basically I now use dhcp, but it should be obvious enough what the
static setting does.

(Btw, you need to make sure the 'ifupdown' package is installed).

You can then use 'ifup eth0' and 'ifdown eth0' to make it go up and
down. It does happen that I have to use ifconfig once in a while because
it seems if* gets confused about it's state.

If you intend to use a number of networks I would suggest looking at a
package such as 'divine'. Makes life so much easier once it is set up.

Oh, and you need dhclient if you intend on using dhcp.

HTH.

Cheers
	Dave