Re: Debian 2.2 on Thinkpad A21M

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 09:40:01PM -0700, Shawn Wheatley wrote:
> I am trying to become a new convert to Debian.  I had
> previously installed Progeny and would like to try
> full blown Debian from scratch.  I saw a link on the
> Debian Laptop list archive
> (http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2001/debian-laptop-200104/msg00029.html)
> saying that you had gotten this to work, including
> DVD.  I would love to get some detailed instructions
> on how you did some of this, as my first install did
> *not* go so well.
>
> Thanks,

(Hope you don't mind, but I've cc'd this reply to the debian-laptop
list, so that it may serve as some form of documentation. Since I'm far
too bone-idle, and get about one request for information per week, this
is no bad thing :)

Hi! I did indeed get most of the parts of the laptop working. Since you
don't say which parts failed I'll give you a quick summary of how the
various parts got done, and then you're more than welcome to ask further
questions.

Now I am in a quite useful situation: we have a full debian mirror at
work, so the install was basically a case of installing a base potato
system from CD, and then pointing apt at out mirror.

I've written some documentation about how I got the DVD playback working
at http://people.debian.org/~dsw (it should be obvious which document it
is).

X was a bit of PITA. For some reason the configuration of X doesn't
really seem to work. The easiest is if you install it all, then if it
still doesn't work I'll send you my xconfig file
(/etc/X11/XF86Config-4).

If you don't use XFree 4, then the x server you want is the Mach64 (had
me very confused for quite some time). If you do use XFree 4.x then you
want the ati driver.

For sound I used Alsa 0.5. I do believe however that the correct drivers
are already in the kernel, but I haven't used them.

In the case of the builtin modem/ethernet card you might be out of luck,
as some A21Ms ship with combo cards by 3com, and some ship with cards
from Xircom/Intel. The 3com cards are not supported, but the Intel ones
are. The drivers can be found on IBM's pages. I don't have the link at
the moment, but if you need them I'll find it for you. Install the
pciutils package and run 'lspci -vv' and look at the output.

The devices I have not got working are usb and irda, since I have no
need for them.

Sorry for not being more specific, but if you let me know where you ran
into problems I'll be happy to help you.

Cheers
	Dave