Can't see mouse cursor under X on VAIO

Hi,

I've been playing with Debian relatively successfully on my Sony VAIO
PCG-F590 for some time now, but I haven't had much success on the X Window
side of things.

I'm running xfree86-common 4.1.0-5 and xserver-xfree86 4.1.0-5

My problem is I can't see my mouse cursor. The mouse is there, if I move
it around enough I can stumble onto a menu and interact with it, the mouse
pointer itself is just not visible. I'm using the touchpad built into the
laptop, and telling XFree86 to look at /dev/psaux with protocol PS/2

Not being an Xfree86 configuration guru, I'm not sure what to do from
here, I've scanned the documentation included with the above packages but
can't find anything appropriate.

Anyone else been there?

Andrew