Re: Thinkpad A21m SoundFusion

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 02:02:58PM +0200, Nicolas SABOURET wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> By looking in the archive 1.5 month ago, I took contact with someone to
> get help on having my Crystal SoundFusion card to work on the my
> ThinkPad A21m.
I have an T22, but the chip should be the same :-)

> However, I can't remember the guy's name, and I still have the problem,
> so I decided to write to the list.

> I use Potato with kernel 2.2 and it doesn't work. I recompiled the
> kernel and the card is detected at login, but I get the "permission
> denied" (/dev/dsp) or "no such device" (/dev/sndstat) answer.

OK. The permission denied is simple. "ls -l /dev/dsp" shows this:
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 Apr 15 02:44 /dev/dsp
Which tells us that only root and members of the audio group can use the dsp
device. You need to add your user to the audio group. This is done in the
file /etc/group. I have the following line which makes the user martin member
of the audio group (he is also mentioned other places because a user can be
a member of multiple groups):
audio:x:29:martin
Thats it, the user martin needs to login again for the changes to have effect.

Your /dev/sndstat problem might be a bit different. I can help your create the
necessary device, but I don't know if some additional wirering is needed. To
create the /dev/sndstat device do the following as root:
mknod /dev/sndstat c 14 6
chown root:audio /dev/sndstat
chmod 660 /dev/sndstat

The first line creates the character device /dev/sndstat with the major number
14 and minor number 6. I found these numbers in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt.
Lines two and three sets the owners and their permissions.

I found the information for this on my testing system so some details like
dates and the number of the audio group might be different on your system, but
all the commands should be correct for your system. As mentioned above I don't
know if you need to do additional things to fix the /dev/sndstat problem, but
now you atleast have the device :-)