problem with networking cropped up after upgrading to sid

I don't know if the problem occurred with something in the upgrade, but since I could upgrade to sid from potato (installed from CD) via
ftp, the problem was not present before the upgrade.  Since this hasn't happened on any of my desktop computers, I can only assume it
has something to do with the laptop.

The laptop:
Dell Inspiron 8000: Xircom pcmcia nic

The problem:
I cannot access my gateway computer nor can it access my laptop, but I can access the other computers on my lan.
Running "ifconfig" reveals a device listed which I have never seen before, "tap0", assigned the IP address of my gateway computer.  I
have tried marking it down, but something on the laptop still thinks a local IP is the same as my gateway IP even with tap0 down.  I have
checked /etc/networks/interfaces, /etc/pcmcia/network.opts, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts, and everything else I could think of that could be
defining tap0 and/or convincing the laptop he is, in addition to his own IP, the IP of my gateway.

Thank you in advance.  I have found the archive for this list very helpful in setting up this laptop but didn't see anything like this (or just
searched on the wrong thing)

-TShrew