Removing the CD

OK, this may be simple and I'm missing something basic - I hope so! - but how
do you get the CDROM mounted when you insert it after you have booted without
it?  I have a Dell Latitude C600 and the BIOS recognises makes the CDROM
available automatically, but I cannot mount it because hdc (where it usually
sits) is not a valid block device.  If I boot then remove and replace it all
works fine.  It's basic, I'm confinced I'm missing something basic!!!!

--
---
Paul Tansom:    Talking to penguins can be inTUXicating, whereas