Re: Routing problem w/wireless ethernet (802.11b)

C. R. Oldham wrote:

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Tim Moss wrote:

C. R. Oldham wrote:

What am I missing?  I know it's something stupid.

You need to add a route on the Linux box to tell it how to reach the
[...]

route add -net 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.151

Thank you Tim, that was it.

I was confused (amd still am a little) because I wasn't sure how that
would help the other machines on the wired net reach the ones on the
wireless network.  However, installing that route fixes the problem for
them as well. (I have some other boxes on the network that I didn't show
in the diagram for the sake of brevity and clarity).

Thanks again!  I've been banging my head against this one for two days.

--cro

The other wired machines probably have the Linux box as their default gateway so, when they can't reach the Dell on their local network, they send their packets bound for it to their default gateway, which now knows how to get to the Dell. Little bit roundabout but it works.