Re: Irda Problem

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> Lee and All
>
> > use MAKEDEV to create the the files in /dev
> > cd /dev
> > ./MAKEDEV irda
>
> Says .....  ./MAKEDEV: major_usbacm%d=166: command not found.
>
> Wot next ?

Ok, so lets do it by hand
(of course you have to be root to do the following)

# cd /dev

# mknod ircomm0 c 161 0

# mknod ircomm1 c 161 1

# mknod irlpt0 c 161 16

# mknod irlpt1 c 161 17

so you have created all the devices you need
next give these devices the appropriate permissions (man chmod) = write
permission for the users that should be able to use IR

next to /etc/irda.conf: are you sure youre using debian? :-) because on my
laptop the /etc/irda/ directory doesnt exist (its also a 2.2r3). instead i have
the _file_ /etc/irda.conf which looks like this (may depend on the irda-version you use)

<BOF>
IRDADEV=/dev/ttyS1	#obviously my emulated serial port
DONGLE=none		#its an internal IR-port
DISCOVERY=-s		#the laptop should search for devices in range
ENABLE=yes		#original comment: 'if you don't need to start
			#irattach, set to "no"'
<EOF>

i dont know what the last does exactly, but it works for me set to 'yes'

other points that came to my mind:
? if using modules you have all the necessary modules in the kernel
    (check with lsmod and mail output), if not using modules, everything
    necessary compiled in
? the IR-port is activated/configured correctly in the BIOS
! read the IR-Howto, it might answer some questions

good luck

wolfgang