Re: sound and networking on IBM ThinkPad 600

Bernard:

I would be surprised indeed if you could compile it right into the kernel in such an old kernel version. Check your BIOS menu for settings for the sound card. If there aren't any, then it's plug and play only.

If there ARE options on DMA, IRQ, and the like, then be advised that io range 0x220 and IRQ 5 are reserved for sound devices; they shouldn't cause any conflicts. DMAs 1 and 5 are usually for 8 and 16 bit DMA to the card, respectively (this is a-la the old soundblasters, which sort of set the convention)

If NOT, then you should check your dmesg to try to see what bus your card thinks it's on. If it's PCI, then make sure PnP is enabled in the kernel you compiled and there should be a section in dmesg saying what resources were assigned to it. Pass the module (or hard-compile in the kernel if you wish) those options, and you should be set. Passing it nothing at all is _always_ going to give errors, so don't even bother. If it's ISA, you need isapnp. There was a thread recently on user about this package, you should check the archives.

As a side note, I really recommend that you upgrade to a 2.4.x kernel...there have been massive advances for laptops lately! I am running 2 laptops, one 150MHz pentium classic and one 750 pIII and both are happy with it.

--adam b.