Re: halt from gnome

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 10:30:37AM +0200, christophe barbé wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a laptop debian user, I feel that it's a waste of time to relaunch gdm
> just to be able to halt my laptop. So I would like to be able to do that
> from the gnome session.

Relaunching gdm shouldn't be necessary. But why do you want to
halt it in the first place? Afraid of the uptime counter
wrapping around? ;-)

> I know about gshutdown but I don't like the gui and it seems to be a little
> radical (I believe that it simply issue a halt command).
> I've noticed that under a Redhat/Ximian box, the logout dialog box not only
>
> allow you to quit your X session but also allow you to halt and reboot your
> box. This is done nicely, tha halt command is issued right after the and of
> the X session logout.
> I didn't manage to enable this feature.

I don't know about the "log out and shut down" thing, but you
*can* shut the box down from the login prompt, by setting
    SystemMenu=1
in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

--
Karl E. Jørgensen