Re: TP i1200 install

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 02:57:58PM -0700, mark barnes wrote:
> I'm experiencing some problems installing 2.2r3 on my new thinkpad. It
> has a CDROM, no floppy disk drive (but USB floppy is available), and
> windows ME installed.  The debian CDs (from LinuxCentral) won't boot in
> this CDROM, but they will boot on my other machines.  I tested the
> thinkpad's Cd player with another bootable CD (Windows NT) and it was
> able to boot.  I've tried everyway I can think of to boot from the CDs,
> but no luck.  So, how do I go about installing on this thinkpad?
>
> I tried to run boot.bat from within windows ME, but was informed via the
> friendly MS help system that it needs DOS real mode to run, and that DOS
> real mode isn't available within Windows ME.  Boot.bat starts loadlin.
> Is there a way to run loadlin from within windows?  Is this the best way
> to go about this?

mark,

i had the same issue to deal with, although it was windows98, so this
may or may not apply/help.

i found a utility (tweakui98) that let me boot to dos rather than
windows. from there i got loadlin to work just fine. i don't know if
there is such an animal for windows ME, but it might be worth a check.
note that we are talking about starting the machine in dos, not starting
dos from within ME (which you have learned doesn't work for loadlin
under ME).

HTH

--
Sergio J. Rey	http://typhoon.sdsu.edu/rey.html
"No, Hardy! No, Hardy! It is a very interesting number. It is the