kernel defaults to reiserfs?

I'm not sure it this is OT, but it did happen on a laptop
;-)

I recompiled my kernel to include reiserfs and now it seems
to want to mount my root partition (/dev/hda1) as reiserfs.
I can't seem to find any place to default it to ext2 (both
are compiled resident, not as modules).  I did make a reiserfs
part but its an upper one and is totally empty at this point.

Are there any undocumented or can someone point me to docs
for kernel param that controls root fs type (I know about
holding down shift at LILO and typing in linux
root=/dev/hda1 ).

Machine: HP Omnibook 800CT, 48MB RAM, 20GB IDE hard drive
P166 MMX.  Kernel 2.4.5 (I think).  Would get logs, but
can't get to the drive :(  Luckily it's a second laptop that
doesn't have anything important on it yet.

Thanks for any assist!

Tony