XFree86 4.0 with NeoMagic 2160

Hey All,

After many headaches and much experimentation I finally discovered that
my Compaq 1640 using a NM2160 chipset really doesn't like running
XFree86 version 4.0 or greater.  It chugs along fine in the 3.3 series,
but as soon as I upgrade or try a distribution that uses 4.0 it will
crash the whole OS (not a good thing).  Has anyone else run into this
trouble?

I'm more than comfortable sticking with 3.3, but I'm a little concerned
that eventually I'll have trouble with newer software that will depend
on 4.0.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger Shaffer Jr.