Re: Framebuffer on Thinkpad 560

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Russell Coker wrote:

> On Monday 11 June 2001 16:13, Vivek Dasmohapatra wrote:
> > > Has anybody got the VESA framebuffer to work on a Thinkpad 560? I
> > > compiled a new kernel, with VESA fb and all the other things stated
> > > in the framebuffer-HOWTO activated, put vga=ask in my lilo.conf,
> > > reran lilo and rebooted. I get to the menu, where I can choose the
> > > mode,
> >
> > Depending on your version of lilo, you may have to put the number,
> > translated into decimal, into your lilo.conf, and turn off vga=ask.
> > Not all versions of lilo understand the hax modes, and I'm not sure
> > they can be entered through the vga=ask method anyway.
>
> Also it should be 512+VESA-number.
>
> So the 800x600 mode in question can be achieved through "vga=771".

As far as I understand, when having vga=ask in lilo.conf, entering the
video mode number at startup _HAS_ to be done in hexadecimal, but without
the leading 0x. (you can't enter more than four numbers there). Also, this
is a kernel issue rather than a lilo issue because the kernel is already
booted at this point.

I suspect that you are using a stock kernel that comes with your
destribution, and not your own custom kernel with frame buffer support
built into it. Or may be you have recompiled your own kernel, compiled
frame buffer support, but not turned on VESA support which is one of the
options in the frame buffer support menu.

What is the kernel you are using?

I am running 800x600x256 on a Compaq Presario without problems. First I
tried vga=ask and 0303 at startup, and later replaced this with vga=0x303
in lilo.conf

Cheers,

Anuradha