Re: Compact Flash card problem

> > hdc: drive_cmd:status=0x51 {DriveReady Seek Complete Error}
> > hdc: drive_cmd:error=0x04
>
> Mine does the same thing, and it's harmless.

I have a CDrom bay which says this kind of thing when its idea of
being powered on and my laptop's idea of It Being Powered On weren't
in sync.  But as long as you don't see small stacks of the same two
or three lines of this text crawling up your screen, it dealt with it
successfully.

> A side note:  I've had some trouble after unmounting and ejecting my CF
> card, in that Linux complains about a lost interrupt.  This tends to cause
> filesystem corruption as well, so I recommend the workaround of only
> removing the card when the laptop is powered off.

If you have any hot-swappable item with a filesystem, you should always
sync and umount it before powering it off, and eject it only when powered
off.  The card, that is - powering down the whole laptop is overkill.

In theory, umount syncs the filesystem.  And also in theory powering off
a card (by means of 'cardctl eject') would umount whatever filesystem is
on it.  But in practice I once saw a PCMCIA connected drive (was it a
type III? I forget) wedge when it was powered off, because it didn't want
to umount fast enough.  I hope pcmcia code has gotten better since those
bad ol' days, but direct experience like that makes me nervous.  So I
understand why Jon is nervous about getting an fs mangled.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...