Re: Compact Flash card problem

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 04:38:34PM +0800, Alex Kwan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am using a 64MB CF card  with a PCMCIA adapter
> in my notebook, the read and write is o.k., but when
> insert this card will have following error message:
> hdc: SanDisk SDCFB-64, ATA DISK DRIVE
> ide1 at 0x100-0x107,0x10e on irq 9
> hdc: drive_cmd:status=0x51 {DriveReady Seek Complete Error}
> hdc: drive_cmd:error=0x04

Mine does the same thing, and it's harmless.

As I understand it, the device claims to be an IDE drive.
Linux assumes that a removable IDE drive will be a CDROM drive, and
tells it to close/lock the drive door.  Not having a drive door, it
complains.

> What is the reason and how to fix it?

Presumably the appropriate code (I'm not sure if it's pcmcia-cs or kernel)
needs to be told how to distinguish between devices with & without doors,
and not try if the door isn't there.

A side note:  I've had some trouble after unmounting and ejecting my CF
card, in that Linux complains about a lost interrupt.  This tends to cause
filesystem corruption as well, so I recommend the workaround of only
removing the card when the laptop is powered off.

Jon Leonard