Re: DLink 713 router/firewall/WAP

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 06:02:25PM -0500, tom wrote:
> Anyone have any luck getting a Wireless Access Point / Router /
> firewall appliance working with the WAP part?
>
> I've got everything running, but I'm really lost when it comes to
> the configuration of a WAP.
> Very little documentation anywhere.

    I'm not using an access point, but rather a PCMCIA adapter on a
    non-portable system. I have configured a separate subnet for the
    Wireless LAN and have configured all hosts on my wired subnet to
    route through the non-portable system to get to the wireless subnet.
    ('man route' for more.)

    Everything works pretty well except for the connection from the
    wireless subnet to the Internet through a Linux firewall that is doing
    IP filtering (ipchains on 2.2.18 kernel) and NAT. It seems not to be
    able to route to the Wireless LAN, probably due to misconfiguration
    between NAT and routing or possibly there is a bug or limitation. Some
    day I'll try 2.4.x and iptables to see if I can do better.

    In the mean time, I run 'junkbuster' on the non-portable system and
    specify that as the proxy for hosts on the wireless subnet. That
    gets me web browsing. That combined with just telnetting to the
    non-portable system and running whatever I want there provides a high
    enough level of functionality to make this shortcoming a non-issue.

    In any case, the PCI/PCMCIA adapter and extra wireless card cost
    less than any base station (this for 802.11b and using Orinoco
    silver cards.)

--
Hank Barta                              White Oak Software Inc.
hbarta@enteract.com                     Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)