Re: X on Dell Latitide 'smudge'

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Michael Schmidt wrote:

> > Dear all, I run Potato (2.2.17) on a Dell Latitude CPi. For most I am
> > very satisfied, but there is one issue which slowly starts to irritate
> > me:
> >
> > If I move large windows (which take up nearly all the screen area)
> > around, I observe a kind of 'smearing' of pixels along the outer areas
> > of those windows. I is not fatal and eventually the smear gets replaced
> > by 'aligned' pixels, but is looks bad. I think it happens with all
> > large windows, but I observe it mainly in Mozilla and Win4Lin (because
> > they usually run 'large'.
> > I have lived with this behaviour for about half a year now, and it has
> > survived upgrades of Gnome and various window managers, so I suspect it
> > so be the X configuration.
> >
> > If anyone has a clue where to look and tweak, or an example XF86Config
> > for a comparable configuration, I would be more than happy.

firstly you may want to play with 'xvidtune' and see if that helps.
Otherwise I would recommend play with the acceleration features of X,
first try turning *all* the features off with 'Option "accel" "off"' and
see what that does.  If that helps then find all the other options for
your driver turn them all off and then turn "accel" back on.  Now using
the excellent technique of trial and error find out what combinations your
laptop likes, also test the hibernate/resume cycle in the test otherwise
you may get irritated :)

have fun

Alex