Re: Dual-booting and the clock

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, CM wrote:

> > a) 'fighting over' [ie what symptoms do you see]
> > b) 'correctly as far as the BIOS is concerned'
>
> I am experiencing the same problem actually on my main box. The problem for
> me is both clocks do not sync the time. In the BIOS the time is set
> correctly, however if the time is set correctly in Linux using the KDE2 time
> configurator it throws the time off when i boot up win98 by about 5 hours
> ahead. Would love to find out how to fix this if anyone has a suggestion.

I am assuming by 'correct in the BIOS' that people mean the BIOS time is
set to UTC, and it sounds like windows is expecting the BIOS time to be
set to the local time, and Linux is expecting it to be set to UTC
[the sensible option, but windows may be unable to cope with this] - You
should change the settings of one or the other so that they both interpret
the hardware clock in the same way: Under linux this can be done by
setting a variable in one of the init scripts -

/etc/default/rcS - debian [potato/woody at least]
/etc/sysconfig?  - RH [not sure, don't use it]

That's my best guess, given that people seem to be fighting tooth and nail
not to define 'correct in the BIOS', and haven't stated what time zone
they're in :)

--
Sysadmin (n): The untrained being underpaid for doing the impossible with
the obsolete