Synaptics Touchpad won't work in Testing

Hi,
   I recently upgraded from 2.2 to Testing.

I had a bit of a battle getting the Xserver to work. There was an
even bigger battle to remove all the Ximian packages as I has
upgraded to Helix and then to Ximian.

The Touchpad worked fine in Xfree 3 as a PS/2 on /dev/psaux.
I used xf86config to produce the XF86Config-4 file and it contains
the same data but the Touchpas does not work.
I installed gpm and it worked fine - since removed.

A ctrl-alt-backspace does not kill the Xserver. I notice a line on
tty1, after using startx:-

Warning: /dev/gpmdtata unable to get status of mouse fd (Invalid
argument).

Anyone have any suggestions as to what is going on?

TIA,
     Tim Wood