Re: Unable to boot from hdd with recent lilo/mbr packages!!!

Am Mittwoch, 30. Mai 2001 12:35 schrieb Russell Coker:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2001 11:45, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
> > > Well, the lilo.conf i sent was just the last configuration I tried,
> > > before that I also tried boot=/dev/hda!
> >
> > Well, you now have a LILO mbr at /dev/hda, so debian mbr is not there at
> > all, if you want to put it back you can try to use install-mbr /dev/hda
> > I'm almost positive that Debian's mbr will work as expected, not so sure
> > about LILO if as you said there is an incompatibility issue, but
> > installing Debian mbr may help your BIOS allow you to boot from HD again.

No, it did not! :-( I now tried to install debina-mbr on /dev/hda and lilo on
/dev/hda2, nothing! The output of dd .... is added to this mail again.

> Here is the relevant compatibility code relating to boot-compat.b.  The
> sole difference between boot-compat.b and boot.b is that boot-compat.b is
> produced with BROKEN_BIOS_COMPATIBILITY defined (so it won't boot NT4).
>
> _main:
> #ifndef BROKEN_BIOS_COMPATIBILITY
>        cli                     ! NT 4 blows up if this is missing
> #endif
>
> I expect that your MBR boots NT4 and as I believe that the problem is the
> laptop can not use a boot loader that works with NT4 I think it's likely
> that your code will not work with it.  However I don't know for sure as I
> can not spare the time required to read the code at the moment.

I have no windows at all on my notebook, but there was a minimal sort of
dos on it when I bought it. I think that the dos mbr remained on the hdd until
my problems started and I played around with lilo and mbr.

> Another option that probably hasn't been considered.  Boot up dos and run
> "fdisk /mbr" to put the DOS MBR on it.  I'm certain that no-one has
> released a PC which is unable to boot DOS...  If LILO is then installed to
> /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda2 is marked as active in the partition table then DOS
> should load up LILO and things should be fine.

OK, good idead I will try to organize a dos bootable disk with fdisk and try
it that way!

Bye,

Olaf