Re: Flaky HW: keyboard & power (Compal/TuxTops 20U)

> > > I'm inclined to pop the box open and look for any visibly loose
> > > connectors.  Not sure what the proscribed surgical techniques are, the
> > > accompanying manual doesn't address disassembly.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> >
> >  Check for traces lifting off the PCB near the solder joint where the
> > connector is attached.  A pair of speakers had the problem with the AC
> > power connector, where moving the connector would make or break the
> > connection.
>
> I haven't been able to crack the case on this puppy.  It's got a mess of
> screws around the bottom and sides, removing all of these didn't seem to
> allow for removing the top or bottom of the case.  I'm leaning toward
> vendor service on the unit.

The keyboard usually has tiny "tabs" that can be released with a little care
and a screwdriver.  Care, because you don't want to ding them up so bad that
the keyboard won't go back in.  Probably need a smaller than average
screwdriver, but the itty bitty ones often don't have enough leverage.  A
perfect use for a Leatherman(tm)

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...