Re: lilo display

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 01:40:26PM -0400, Steven K Thompson wrote:
> I did not get any response when I asked this query before.  It
> would be great if someone knows how to get a more straightforward
> display of the available operating systems at bootup, especially
> if it is someone besides myself who turns the machine on.
>

> When I installed Debian 2.2r2 on my laptopI configured Lilo to give a choice of
> three operating systems:
> 1. Debian, 2. Redhat, and 3. Windows/Dos.  Debian is the default.
>
> When I press the tab key at the boot prompt the display of the options is rather
> chaotic
> in appearance, like this:
>

> debian       1           2       redhat
> 3       dos
>

> Is there a way I can change this into a simple list of the three options, with
> the numbers and
> labels in the same order for each?   I would appreciate any advice here.

 First, get rid of all the comments you don't need in lilo.config.  There's
a man page for it, so you don't need the docs for stuff next to the items,
unless you usually find that you don't remember what they do without
checking.  Anyway, get yourself an up-to-date version of lilo (potato's lilo
might not have boot-menu), and use this:

# bootloader options
boot=/dev/hda
lba32
install=/boot/boot-menu.b  # instead of boot.b
compact  # turn this off if it won't boot with it.

# UI options
delay=20
prompt
timeout=100

# kernel options
append="apm=on"
root=/dev/hda4
read-only

# images
default=debian
#default=redhat

image=/vmlinuz
	label=debian
	root=/dev/hda4

image=/redhat/redboot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
        label=redhat
        root=/dev/hda5

other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos

# a couple fun ones I like to have

other=/usr/lib/hwtools/memtest86.bin
	label=memtest86
image=/usr/lib/hwtools/memmxtest.bin
        label=memmxtest

other=/dev/fd0
	label=floppy
	unsafe # don't try to read floppy when installing bootloader

 A lot shorter and easier to read, eh? :)  (BTW, if /sbin/lilo complains,
_be_ _careful_.  Don't set your computer on fire with this, etc. :)

 If you don't install a lilo with boot-menu.b, then you're probably best off
following the advice of the other people who've suggested things.  (GRUB, or
using a boot-message).

--
#define X(x,y) x##y