Dell Inspiron 3700 and Docking station PCI network card

This may be better aimed at a kernel-related list, but here
goes...

I have a docking station with a (PCI) network card in it. It works
fine - ish.

The problem is that I want to be able to dock and un-dock the
machine "at will" - i.e. *without* having to reboot. And *still*
be able to use the network card while docked.

If I boot with the laptop *in* the docking station then it
appears on the PCI bus and everything is OK.

If I boot *outside* of the docking station, then no amount of
fiddling will make it work once docked. It does not appear in
/proc/pci at all. Even after repeated suspends/resumes, swearing and
shouting.  None of it helps. I haven't tried crying or praying yet,
but I doubt whether it will work...

Oddly enough, Windows 98 managed to dock/undock almost reasonably -
but it took longer to re-adjust itself than Linux takes to
restart (and me logging in and starting applications again). And
more often than not Windows died if e.g. Outlook or IE was
running.

As with windows, I first suspend the machine, dock it, and wake
it up again. Does this cause a "PCI Reset" ? (if there is such a
thing?). Apparantly, it doesn't cause the kernel to re-scan
the PCI bus...

Have anybody else had this work? How? Surely I can't be the only
one!?

PS: Please do not cc me in on replies, as I am subscribed to the
    list.
--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com