Re: SpeedStep / Geyserville lockups?

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 08:44:12PM +1200, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> > I personally suspect that some things may not be all that well behaved "at
> > the wrong speed" too but I have no direct experience with that.
>
> That's really interesting.  I haven't had any lock-ups on this system at all (I
> finally got an IBM A21p).  I have seen bogomips ratings of between 187 and 1690.
>
> Perhaps the BIOS manages to sort this out for me?

 No, linux doesn't use the BIOS after it boots up.

> Suspend / resume have also worked flawlessly, apart from the (apparently) standard
> sound driver bugs, requiring ALSA to be restarted on resume.

 You're just lucky.  Some drivers must not need accurate delay timing, and
you must not be using any that do.  Give your hardware a hug :)  It's always
a good idea to boot up a full speed, so detected bogomips = max bogomips,
but if you've _never_ seen any lockups or data errors/corruption, you
probably don't need to change now.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y