Re: SpeedStep / Geyserville lockups?

Heather wrote:

> I believe that Speedstep machines are much more stable if they are always
> (re)booted while attached to wall power.   Suspends and resumes should behave
> much better, but *those* depend on whether your APM BIOS is crappy :(
>
> The reasoning is, boot time is when the kernel measures its bogomips, to
> figure out what sorts of timings to use for hardware-driver matters.
>
> If you start at say, 500 MHz, but later go to 800 MHz, then your bogomips
> are too low and something critical may not wait long enough during an
> otherwise inocuous device reset or command.  Oops, panic, whatever.  You can
> get lucky a lot before it fails for "no reason".  Bad juju.
>
> I personally suspect that some things may not be all that well behaved "at
> the wrong speed" too but I have no direct experience with that.

That's really interesting.  I haven't had any lock-ups on this system at all (I
finally got an IBM A21p).  I have seen bogomips ratings of between 187 and 1690.

Perhaps the BIOS manages to sort this out for me?

Suspend / resume have also worked flawlessly, apart from the (apparently) standard
sound driver bugs, requiring ALSA to be restarted on resume.

Regards,
					Andrew.
           Andrew McMillan, e-mail: Andrew@catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Ltd, PO Box 10-225, Level 22, 105 The Terrace, Wellington
Me: +64(21)635-694, Fax: +64(4)499-5596, Office: +64(4)499-2267xtn709