Re: XF86Config, X 3.3.6, ATI Rage 128

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 01:06:17PM +0200, Matthias Weiss wrote:
> Hi!
> Can anyone provide me a XF86Config file for the ATI Rage 128 Mobility
> Chip. I'm using the "non free" XF86_Rage128 server but I'm not able
> to get it run.
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 with a 1600x1200 TFT  on Debian 2.2r3. I
> tried to "dist-upgrade" to the "unstable" dist in Order to use the
> X 4.0.3 Server
--- snipp ---
Hi!
I'm running potato on a Dell Inspiron 8000, too. I've upgraded to the
XFree86 4.0.3 potato version with the following lines in my
sources.list:

# Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 - XFree86 Version 4.0.3
deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ xf403_potato/all/
deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ xf403_potato/i386/

apt-get update / apt-get dist-upgrade brought me to a running X 4.0.3
Server with a resolution of 1600x1200. It's the only resolution I've
got running so far, but on the UXGA+ TFT it's really cool. For the
configuration I started with the XF86Config from the Dell support
web site. It's a RPM file but you can convert it to a tgz file with
alien (alien --to-tgz atimp316.rpm) and copy the configuration file to
the /etc/X11 directory (as XF86Config-4).

Up to now I had no problems with the X 4.0.3 Server (there were some
smaller problems with the X 4.0.2 when switching between console mode
and X - but it seems to be solved with X 4.0.3). There is only a minor
glitch: when running the XServer with DRI support for hardware
accelaration the last few lines on the screen start to flicker (maybe
some problems during the refresh).

If you would like to get the config file from Dell or my configuration
file as a starting point for your configuration, just send me a mail
and I will send you the files.

Bye
Andreas