Re: Inspiron 3500 networking woes....

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Diarmuid Drew wrote:

> [snipped]
>
> network. I have struggled over the past 2 years to get a stable network
> connection on my home network. Under 2.4.2 everything is rock solid but
> 2.4.3 and 2.4.4 are broken. The common error I get is "transmit timeout".
>
> ........any suggestions ?

erm....if everything is rock solid under 2.4.2 then why don't you keep to
it?  Or have I missed something fundemental.  Currently you are saying
that the latest and greatest kernel release is not working for you,
however a slightly younger kernel version is fine.

another thing you need to mention is whether you are using the kernel
support for pcmcia or whether you are just using the pcmcia package?  I
would highly recommend the package version of pcmcia rather than the
kernel version, also use version 3.1.24 (3.1.25 has an interesting feature
which need you to mount /var *without* the 'nodev' option in your fstab
file).

Alex