Re: Kernel panic. No init found

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 09:17:03PM +0200, Vincent Laisney wrote:
> Hi debs!
>
> I have installed Debian Potato 2.2.19pre9 on my laptop. Everything was well,
> but I had no APM support. I have tried to recompile the Kernel with
>
> make menuconfig
> make-kpkg kernel_image
> dpkg -i ../<my package>.deb
>
> But wenn I have rebooted I have got a message
> "Kernel panic no init found. You can give at boot the option init= ..."

 What does it say before this?

> The worst is that I get this message for my old (and correct) Kernel, wenn I
> boot with on the vmlinuz.old
>
> Yes, I have read in the Archives of this List that the solution is to add
> apm=on on the boot line or add the line append "apm=on" in lilo.conf. It's a
> pity to read this too late...

lilo  append  lines are equivalent to putting the command line options in
yourself.  Just boot  linux apm=on  if you want.

> Can somebody help me and give me the data to put after "init=" ?
> Why can I not boot from my old kernel?

 Most likely the problem is the it's getting the wrong root directory.
specify root= whatever it should be.  It's not too likely the /sbin/init
disappeared, unless something really bad happened.  init=/bin/bash is
another thing that can work, but no init= line will help until the kernel
find the correct root filesystem.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y