Re: apmd on Dell Inspiron 7500

> Hello,
>
> I tried these configurations:
[snip]
> But to no avail...  I ctrl-alt-F1 out of X (because I've heard it can be a
> problem) and close my lid... everything shuts down after a few seconds, I
> open the lid and the machine is frozen solid (no caps-lock key etc)... I
> have to press the power button to reboot :-(
> I've tried ejecting my PCMCIA cards and all, but same thing.

Perhaps some other thing is not behaving well on the resume.  I've heard
that sound systems can be a problem.... although the usual symptom is more
like "I resumed and now none of my sounds work" or less commonly "I slept
while sound was going and when I resumed the system is screaming 'cuz it's
stuck on the note"...

so maybe you could try (this by hand of course) removing most modules
before the suspend, and see if it succeeds in resuming?

Perhaps you could also try dropping to single user mode before suspending
(thus knocking off a lot of daemons too); if that works, some application
is the culprit.  Drastic, but I hope by this means we can reduce the number
of fsck's you have to fight through to figure it out...

Lastly, maybe you should try acpid instead, and see if it succeeds where
apm is obviously evil for you.  You'd need a kernel with acpi support of
course, and that will disable apm awareness.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...