Re: ailing gpm - tp380ED

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 JParker@coinstar.com wrote:

> G'Day !
>
> 1)  I do not use GNOME, but gpm and X do not mix.  If you you run X do not
> run gpm.  Gpm is mouse driver/utilites for consoles (CLI) so it is not
> needed unless you do a lot of work in your virtual consoles, like me  ;-)

That's simply not true. It is possible, and evan has some advantage, to
run gpm and X together. You just have to enable repeater mode preferably
by running gpmconfig and setting repeater mode to "msc".
Then you can configure X to use /dev/gpmdata as a mouse device in
/etc/X11/XF86Config like below:

### cut here  8>< ###
Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "MouseSystems"
   Device          "/dev/gpmdata"
EndSection
### cut here  8>< ###

An advantage is that gpmconfig lets you easily try out different mouse
setups.
Another one, especially on laptops is, that if your mouse gets stuck you
can easily reanimate it using /etc/init.d/gpm restart.
I need that every second time I plug my Libretto into the docking station
with an attached PS/2 mouse.

--
Manfred Wassmann
PGP and GnuPG public keys available at http://germany.keyserver.net