Re: PCMCIA Ethernet Recommendation

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 08:03:59AM -0800, Donnie Jones wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> As you've probably had on here many times already by
> other users, I am asking for some recommendations for
> an inexpensive reliable pcmcia ethernet card for
> debian.  Any information would be great.

Avoid Xircom.  Really.  I'm fed up with my wonderful
"works-anywhere-in-the-world" RealPort combo card.  I tried it yesterday
under Windows, and the card eventually froze up exactly the way it's been
doing under Linux.  And I'm not the only one with this problem.

On the other hand, they do have a lifetime warranty on the card, so it's
about time I took them up on it.  Maybe I'll be feeling more happy about
them after I've done that.

On the third hand, my card is a REM-56G100 (or whatever), two years old,
three even.  They now have a "RealPort2" series, maybe you'll have better
luck with that.

On the fourth hand, be careful about getting a CardBus type card (mine is
"pcmcia"), there've been problems those (possibly already resolved).

Drew
(preparing to give Xircom customer support a call on Monday...)

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A