Re: Switching keys around

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Joanne Hunter wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > So, my questions are twofold:
> >
> > 1) How can I swap the Window and Menu windows keys with the Insert and
> > Delete keys under X? (or, How can I set it up such that the Insert key
> > tells X that the Meta key has been pressed, the Window (Meta) key
> > tells X that the Insert key has been pressed, that the Delete key
> > tells X that another meta key (let's say Hyper) has been pressed, and
> > that the Menu (Hyper) key tells X that the Delete key has been
> > pressed?)
>
> The easiest way is to install the package `xkeycaps' and use that. It
> builds xmodmap(1) scripts for doing what you want, which is /so/ much
> easier than doing it by hand.
>
> > 2) How can I do the same under the Linux console? (Is it possible?)
>
> Yes, it's possible. I don't know how, though, and think it involves
> editing the keymap files and loading them. Read the documentation on the
> `console-tools' (or `kbd', if you have that installed instead) packages,
> they /may/ help.
>
>         Daniel

There is a directory where alternative keymaps are kept (for example, Dvorak).
You can copy the one for qwerty and add your own things, or change them.  Of
course the normal keymaps are .gz so you need to ungzip them first ... but
after that they are plaintext and it made good sense to me, at least.  Plus,
in my experience, the new one wouldn't work until I gzipped it again.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...