Re: apm

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 06:07:26AM -0500, steven k. thompson wrote:
> I installed Debian 2.2r2 on my laptop and as I boot I
> see the message "APM disabled at user request".  I presume
> it would be better not to have it disable.  Can someone
> tell me how this disabling happened and how I change it?

The way I understand, some BIOS cannot handle apm, and therefore it is
switched off in the stock Debian kernels by default.  You can turn it back
on by adding apm=on or something similar to the boot command line when you
boot.

But a better thing to do is to recompile your kernel yourself, so you can
make sure it's generally optimised for your system.  If you do this, you can
also turn apm to turn on at boot by default.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A