Fwd: Re: potato to woody

----- Forwarded message from Heather <star@starshine.org> -----

Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 01:18:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Heather <star@starshine.org>
To: Daniel E Baumann <baumannd@msoe.edu>
CC: Heather <star@starshine.org>
Subject: Re: potato to woody

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 05:42:01PM -0800, Heather wrote:
> > I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally don't recommend unstable unless you enjoy making
> > bug reports and handling removal-dependencies occasionally by hand.
> >
> > Testing usually resembles ok, but if you change libc, theres a set of
> > packages you want to get all at once, in one pass without other apps
> > involved.
>
> Come on now unstable isn't that bad :P. I guess it is more for us code
> jockeys.

Well, I'm not afraid of a little recompile here and there myself (that ssh
potshot, for instance) but, what's the point of living in unstable if you
won't help out with spotting bugs?

> I haven't had any major problems since that glibc 2.1.95 upgrade when it
> broke all sorts of things. If you are adventurous I wouldn't hesistate to
> use unstable / things do break occasionally, but for the most part the
> system is very usable.
>
> Dan

"bleeding edge" for broken debian packages means rolling them back, fixing
a few broken dpkg markups may mean doing that by hand, and you should
bug report it.  Things do break occasionally and if they break during the
install phase, you *will* need to rollback. If you aren't familiar with
doing that and don't want to be, this isn't the track for you. That's
'unstable'.

"adventurous" it seems to work considering how few people have bothered
to beat on it.  Things may break in subtle ways but shouldn't manage to
make you reach for your MSwin install kit. That's 'testing'.

Anything that has you jumping glibc versions - however tested the kit
happens to be - should be handled with at least some caution.

I don't see anything worthy of keeping private here (I'm not in the least
embarassed about my tracking choices) so if you want to reforward it to
the list, I've no problem with that, and I think some lurkers and newbies
may find the above description enlightening, even though it's not laptop
specific.

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star@starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting@starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078

----- End forwarded message -----

Woops didn't mean for this to be private. I gotta remember to hit "L" in
mutt.

Dan`
--
Daniel E Baumann       baumannd@msoe.edu
Web location:          http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd

And if cynics ridicule freedom, ridicule community...if ``hard nosed
realists'' say that profit is the only ideal...just ignore them, and use
copyleft all the same.
      -- RMS