Re: [OT] reload files from disk

Daniel Reuter writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > > > How can one FORCE to have a program reloaded from disk and not from
 > > > buffer cache, when it has already been run once?
 > >
 > > Er, there really isn't a way to do that. However, you can flush it out
 > [snip]
 > > Are you sure that's the question you really meant to ask? What is the
 > > actual problem you have or want to investigate?
 >
 > Now, the problem was, that X crashed on startup (With a stack trace and
 > all, however I didn't have the complete output of the Xserver, as it
 > vanished upwards on the console).

If you want to capture the output of a command (like startx) do
something like
	  startx > startx.out 2>startx.err
to capture stdout and stderr to the named files for later examination.

 > I first thought it was
 > the window-manager, so I started X without any other service running. It
 > crashed anyway repeatedly. This never happened before, so I supposed the
 > program got somehow corrupt while loading into memory.

Seems very unlikely to me.
 > As I needed X at the moment, I rebooted the machine. Then it worked
 > without problems.

A lot of other things happen when you reboot.  I'm not sure about this
but: X uses networking services at some level -- easier than rebooting
would be restarting those.

Will

--
William F. Dowling