Help: Dell Inspiron 5000e X-Windows

Dear friends,

Can you help me bring up X-Windows on my Dell Inspiron 5000e notebook?

I've been using GNU/Linux for almost two years, but this is my first experience of installing it on a notebook. I could not set up X-windows. When X-windows setup program (XF86Setup in potato or Xconfigurator in RedHat) attmepted to start the X server, it halted the machine. Besides, Debian GNU/Linux automatically starts the X server at boot time also gave me a headache.

I'm not sure whether it's due to keyboard, mouse, card or monitor settings.
Below is information about the hardware:

Keyboard: Inspiron 87 keys (standard 101/102 or Microsoft natural on Microsoft)
Monitor:          14.1' XGA            (standard monitor on Microsoft)
Card:                 ATI Rage Mobility-128 2x AGP
Mouse:              Synaptics PS/2 TouchPads

Could anybody tell me what settings should these be on Debian potato and which server to run?

Thanks in advance!