Re: pcmcia card activation
- To: "'Debian-Laptop \(E-mail\)" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: pcmcia card activation
- From: Drew Parsons <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:45:48 +1100
- Message-id: <20010216004548.B823@strider>
- Mail-followup-to: Drew Parsons <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "'Debian-Laptop (E-mail)" <email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <C17994D4FFAED21186E4204C4F4F50203A7617@SERVER1>; from firstname.lastname@example.org on Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 02:09:37PM +0100
- References: <C17994D4FFAED21186E4204C4F4F50203A7617@SERVER1>
On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 02:09:37PM +0100, Jan van Veldhuizen wrote:
> I am really a stupid newbie!!
> Now I've read that my xircom card is supported by pcmcia-cs, whatever that
> may be.
> But my installation notes from Debian do not tell me exactly what to do.
> Perhaps it does, but I can't find it.
> Which file must I edit, or what is the name of the configuration tool that I
> can use to tell Linux which card I have, what the IP-number should be,
If you have both pcmcia-cs and pcmcia-modules installed, with the latter
compiled for the kernel you're using, your computer should locate your card
as soon as it's inserted, with no extra configuration required. You should
hear a high beep as soon as it goes in, and you can check in /var/log/syslog
that your computer identified the card properly (the xirc2ps driver will
probably be used for it). You'll see something like:
Feb 15 23:08:17 localhost cardmgr: socket 0: Xircom CEM56
Feb 15 23:08:17 localhost cardmgr: executing: 'modprobe xirc2ps_cs'
Feb 15 23:08:17 localhost anacron: Anacron 2.3 started on 2001-02-15
Feb 15 23:08:17 localhost kernel: xirc2ps_cs.c 1.31 1998/12/09 19:32:55
Feb 15 23:08:17 localhost cardmgr: executing: 'modprobe serial_cs'
Then, to use the card, you put the settings into /etc/pcmcia/network.opts.
The sample settings already there should be simple enough to follow,
hopefully. You'll want to pop the card out and reinsert, to make any new
network settings operative.
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0 EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A