Re: Sound TP390

Hi Paul,

> I did create a /etc/modutils/sound and wrote the following lines into it
>
> alias sound opl3sa2
> pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
> alias midi opl3
> options opl3 io=0x388
> options opl3sa2 mss_io=0x530 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=1 mpu_io=0x300 io=0x370
> (found the info on http://www.spack.org/geek/thinkpad-390.html)
>
> But when I try to load the soundmodule I get an errormessage
> like "soundmodule already exists" (I don't have the laptop with me in
> the moment)

I do not have a Thinkpad but my Toshiba Satellite 2545 apparently uses the
same sound settings. I've seen a warning on some list that you should use

alias char-major-14 opl3sa2

and not the "alias sound opl3sa2". Apparently, "sound" is a different
existing module (maybe specific to Debian?) and it collides with the
opl3sa2. I also do not use the "pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1"
but maybe you need that on the Thinkpad... BTW, I'm using Debian 2.2r0.

Accidentally, I'd appreciate if anybody knows a good reference for the
meaning of minor numbers in sound devices, i.e. whether they map to the io
ports of the driver, etc. Haven't had much luck searching
kernel-doc. Thanks.

Best,
Petr