Re: lost the ALT key under emacs

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 01:52:54AM +0000, Tiarnan O Corrain wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 07:40:41PM -0500, Lee Bradshaw wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 11:25:31PM +0000, Tiarnan O Corrain wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > I've a problem running emacs on my Compaq Armada 7770DMT laptop. The
> > > Alt key isn't working, so I can't get any M-x type commands. Does
> > > anyone know why? Debian is the only dist I've run on this laptop, so I
> > > don't know whether it's a specifically Debian problem.
> >
> > If you have the "windows" keys, try using them instead of Alt.
>
> I haven't got the windows keys, and my XF86Config setup is exactly the
> same as yours, so I'm still looking for suggestions.
>
> Thx anyway
>
> Tiarnan
>

> --

You can set the alt key as the meta using xkeycaps. You than have to save the
Xmodmap file (I had to do this too). I just replaced my system file.

Dan
--
Daniel E Baumann       baumannd@msoe.edu
Web location:          http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd

And if cynics ridicule freedom, ridicule community...if ``hard nosed
realists'' say that profit is the only ideal...just ignore them, and use
copyleft all the same.
      -- RMS