Re: FINAL Re: Modem not working in Linksys PCMCIA Ethernet + modem combo

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 04:02:32PM -0600, Petr Hlustik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I posted some months ago my trouble getting the Linksys Ethernet + modem
> PCMCIA card (PCMLM56) to work under Linux. I heard from at least two people
> that the modem works with serial_cs and from one that there is a winmodem
> in that card. Linksys confirmed that they (now) put a Lucent winmodem in
> there.
>
> This is how things ended up: After a long struggle with setserial,
> pcmcia.options etc. I gave up on my card, returned it to the reseller
> (MicroWarehouse) and (surprise!) got a refund based on "misleading
> advertizing of Linux support". I will never now for sure what chip was in
> there...
Now let's just hope that they don't give up on announcing Linux support
because of that one bad experience... :-\

My Acer CRW8432IA burner was also "supported by Linux" according to the
distributor. I believed it. Until I found out that it had a firmware flaw
that rendered it useless under non-patched/updated cdrecord versions...
(only did a simulation burn all the time)

Andreas Mohr