Re: New problems with adding hard-drive to the docking station.

Kamath <kamath@cs.odu.edu> writes:

> Hi All!!
>
> I have got the PCMCIA modem problem sorted out. I am not sure what the
> problem was but it does look like it needed the "generic serial" kernel
> module that was it needed as far as the device irq conflicts and stuff

well, you're off to a good start in the new year...

> goes. I followed some of the things in the ISP how-to and somehow the
> modem started dialling atleast!! But now the problem is one of PAP
> authentication failure. I checked the PAP-secrets file and made sure it
> had the correct user-name and password neeed for authentication at the
> dial-up server. I get the message saying
> "panic looks like a login prompt ...
> sent login and password ....."
> and in the syslog file in /var/log the message is "PAP authentication
> failed. I am using Debian 2.2 potato with 2.2.18pre21 version of the
> kernel.

I'd do the following:  fire up minicom, dial into the ISP (just use
ATDT5551212 where you replace 5551212 with the phone number of your
ISP), and check what the login looks like.  Do you even get a login?
"panic" doesn't look like a login prompt to me.
And who is writing the the PAP authentication failure?  PPP?  (That
info is found in deamon.log or messages?)

> Now another thins I have been doing in the adventure of mine with
> linux/debian is adding a hard-disk to the docking station. here is the
> set-up i have. I have a 486 laptop(Compaq LTE Elite) with 1.3 GB hard-disk
> space. And a docking station attached to this lap-top. Now the kernel is
> able to access the docking system devices(or devices in the docking
> system, like PS/2 mouse ports, the newly added hard-disk via some (lap-top
> to docking station) interface, (I dont know what exactly the
> interface is but it appears to be a PCMCIA type III port)
>
> now i would like to add the new hard-drive i added to the docking bay. I
> tried the command
> prompt> mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hdb
> and got the message
> /dev/hdb is an entire device, not just one partition!
> proceed anyway?(y, n)     -----> i answer y here and get the message

should have said no here!  /dev/hdb is the whole disk, not usable for
a file system.  That means you would do "fdisk /dev/hdb" because you
want to have access to the whole hard drive.  But then you have to
partition the harddrive, giving you devices like /dev/hdb1 and
/dev/hdb2 ...  You can then create file systems on the partitions.

If you want to have just one partition, start up fdisk or cfdisk with
/dev/hdb as the argument and create one big partition (n or  new).  Be
careful when partioning your hard drive.  You could lose data if you
pick the wrong drive.

> mkfs.ext2: Device not configured while trying to determine filesystem size
>
> My question is am i doing the right thing here? in running the mkfs
> command directly?? or do i need to do any configuring here?? which seems
> very likely here from the messages, and if so how??

Hmm, someone else probly can point you to the right reading material.

  -tom